If you’re mood is a little off or you’re struggling to concentrate, then you may be dehydrated. Research has shown that your mental health alongside many aspects of your wellbeing relies upon adequate hydration levels.
Drinking the correct amount of water each day can help to reduce the likelihood of developing anxiety or depression. Losing just 1% of your body mass through dehydration can cause a drop in your mood and increase anxiety symptoms.
The human brain is made up of approximately ¾ water. When it’s put like that, it’s easy to understand why a lack of water can affect our mental health. Without water, your brain cells become less efficient, so your concentration levels may fall. You may also notice that your energy levels drop which can make it difficult for you to carry out your daily tasks.
Top up throughout the day
Topping up your water intake throughout the day is the best way to prevent dehydration. If you feel the need to gulp copious amounts of water, then this is already a sign that you may be dehydrated.
You can check if you’re dehydrated by the colour of your pee, too. If it’s dark, then this is a sign that you aren’t drinking enough. Other signs of dehydration include a dry mouth and feeling irritable or stressed.
Symptoms of dehydration
- Extreme thirst
- Dark, strong smelling pee
- Dry mouth, eyes, or lips
- Peeing less than 4 times a day
How to get enough water
Our tracker bottles are a great way to track the amount of water you’re drinking throughout the day. The bottles are printed with hourly timings, so you can take small and consistent sips throughout the day to help you reach the recommended water intake.
They’re super easy to use and they’re suitable for the whole family, simply:
- Fill up – fill your bottle first thing in the morning and begin tracking your intake
- Track – follow the timing schedule on the back of the bottle and take small, regular sips throughout the day
- Refill and refresh – refill your bottle at lunchtime and continue tracking
Is water the best drink for your mood
If you want to keep your mood boosted, water is the ideal drink. You should avoid:
- Alcohol – it’s a depressant and slows the function of your central nervous system which can result in a low mood.
- Fizzy drinks – sugary drinks can affect your mood because they provide an instant energy boost but the drop in energy that follows can result in tiredness and irritability.
- Caffeinated drinks – caffeinated coffee, tea, or energy drinks stimulate your central nervous system and induces a fight or flight response. The alertness response that caffeine causes can affect your mood and anxiety.
How else can I improve my mood?
Mood swings affect everyone at some point in their life but it’s not just hydration that’s a contributing factor. Although there’s no exact way to always stay in a happy mood there are certain things you can do to help prevent low mood or improve it:
- exercise regularly
- eat a health balanced diet
- lead an active social life
- participate in mindfulness exercises.