An easy vegan alternative to the famous classic chilli con carne.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
400g can of kidney beans, drained
1 can of butter beans, drained
1 can of cannellini beans, drained
1-2 cans of chopped tomatoes
1 large onion
1 ½ cups of butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 red peppers, deseeded and chopped
1-inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 heaped tsp on mild chilli powder
Vegetable stock cube
400 ml water
¼ tsp salt
To serve: long grain rice
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
1. In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium-low heat. Add the onion, ginger and red peppers, cook for around 5 minutes, until they begin to soften.
2. Add the chilli powder, cumin, paprika and salt, stir frequently for two minutes.
3. Add the vegetable stock cube, water, tomatoes, and butternut squash and allow to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, giving it an occasional stir. Now add the beans and simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thick. You’ll need to stir the mix occasionally, as you don’t want it to stick to the bottom of the pan.
4. Have a taste before you serve, if you like a more intense heat you can add more chilli or use hot chilli powder instead.
5. Serve with long grain rice or potato wedges.