Pea, coconut, and turmeric may not be your usual soup, but this creamy lunchtime favourite is great for cold winter evenings. Plus, it’s suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium chopped onion
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
250g of frozen peas
1 vegetable stock cube
400ml tin of coconut milk
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the onions, stirring occasionally, fry for 10 minutes or until the onions have turned golden brown.
- Add the turmeric and give the pan a stir. Add the celery, peas and 750ml of water and crumble in the stock cube and stir. Turn the heat up high and bring the mix to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk simmer until the soup thickens a little or reaches the consistency you prefer.
- With a stick blender give the soup a quick blend or if you prefer it chunky, leave as it is.
- Serve in your food pot.