Healthy Snack Alternatives
Being in isolation makes it tempting to gorge out on all the things that are bad for us but taste good. Although they may temporarily satisfy our cravings, high sugar and high-fat snacks are no good for us overall. So, we’ve come up with some healthy snack alternatives for you to enjoy.
1. Dates and pistachios
If you’re looking for a tasty alternative snack to crisps or a cake, then look no further than a handful of dates and pistachios. The chewy texture and honey-like taste compliment the strong, savoury flavour of the pistachios.
All you need to do is combine 2 pitted dates with 2 tablespoons of pistachios and you’ve got yourself a tasty snack.
2. Tuna and lettuce wraps
If you need something a little more filling, then these easy tuna lettuce wraps will be right up your street. They don’t take long to make and they’re full of omega-3 which are good fats that your body needs.
- 1 small tin of tuna
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ teaspoon English mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- Halve and stones the avocado and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Add in the mustard powder and vinegar and mash together. The mixture should be smooth like mayonnaise. Stir in the capers. Spoon them into2 small dishes.
- On serving plates, put the lettuce leaves on them with the tomatoes. Spoon some of the avocado mayonnaise onto the lettuce leaves and top with the tuna, tomatoes and a few extra capers. Roll them up into small wraps and enjoy.
If you prefer, you can use fresh tuna fillets instead of the tinned tuna. Simply, brush the fillets with some oil and cook for a minute on each side or a minute longer if your steaks are thicker and serve in the same way.
3. Ryvita with banana and honey
Ryvita is a rye-based crispbread, low in calories and has many important health benefits. It also makes a great alternative to carb-rich bread. These Ryvita snacks are super simples and easy to make.
You will need:
- Ryvita crispbread – original wholegrain or sesame is great
- Drizzle of honey
- To each piece of Ryvita add half a sliced banana
- Drizzle generously with honey
4. Eggs and soldiers with a twist
Boiled eggs and soldier are a breakfast favourite for many. And this alternative recipe is a little healthier but enough to satisfy your hunger.
- 1 soft boiled egg
- 7 spears of steamed asparagus
- Soft boil your egg and steam your asparagus
- Remove the shell from the egg and cut it in half lengthways.
- Dip the asparagus stems in the yolk of the egg.
Prawns have a god nutritional profile providing us with many vitamins and minerals. Although they contain cholesterol, they are naturally low in saturated fat, so they’re less likely to increase ‘bad’ cholesterol.
You can buy them ready-cooked in supermarkets and as a quick and easy snack, they can be enjoyed with a sweet chilli dipping sauce.